Arts Engage Initiative
The Center for Arts Education (CAE) is dedicated to ensuring that New York City Public School students have quality arts learning as an essential part of their K-12 education. CAE is working with four NYC public middle schools for the Arts Engage Initiative, a groundbreaking four-year research project funded by the US Department of Education. CAE is one of only eight grant recipients nationwide (and the only New York organization) and is proud to announce this opportunity to help transform schools through the arts.
AEI school teams will design dynamic, cross-disciplinary arts curriculum with expert teaching artists, experienced coaches and CAE staff. Units of study will support Common Core State Standards and help close achievement, experience and opportunity gaps in middle school education.
The Arts Engage Initiative provides a unique opportunity for schools to enrich arts and academic teaching and learning. The program will follow a cohort of sixth grade students as they move through their middle school years, as well as track the progress of future sixth grade classes.
Each selected middle school receives:
- Year-long residencies in two art forms for three implementation years
- An experienced coach with DoE supervisory experience and expertise in arts education
- On-going professional development for school leaders and the participating staff
- Summer professional development institutes for participating teachers
- Phone or in person consultations with the Project Principal Investigator about any aspect of the research methods or protections and policies for all participants